“Live in harmony with one another…” Romans 12:16a (NIV)
Let’s face it. There days when it’s difficult to “live in harmony” with others ~ days when every little thing gets on your nerves, and you feel crotchety and testy. Perhaps something happened to precipitate this prickly state of mind, or it could be that you just simply woke up in a grouchy mood. Instead of harmony, everything around your seems to be a cacophony of jangling disharmony.
But as a children of the Prince of Peace, we must remind ourselves that the example we set in our lives should draw others to our Heavenly Father, not push them away. We should be a breath of fresh air for people around us, not a source of negativity and strife. So if you are having one of those touch-me-not days, take a spiritual time out and pray about it. Ask God to reset your attitude, and replace your crabbiness with an infusion of His loving, patient and forgiving spirit. Remind yourself of these instructions from Philippians 2:14 – 16a (MSG)
- Do everything readily and cheerfully—no bickering, no second-guessing allowed!
- Go out into the world uncorrupted, a breath of fresh air in this squalid and polluted society.
- Provide people with a glimpse of good living and of the living God.
- Carry the light-giving Message into the night…
Strive to put heaven’s priorities into daily practice, and focus on what really matters, not on nit-picky details. Let this be your constant theme: “If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.” Romans 12:18 (NIV)
- “In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” Matthew 5:16 (NIV)
- “Do everything readily and cheerfully—no bickering, no second-guessing allowed! Go out into the world uncorrupted, a breath of fresh air in this squalid and polluted society. Provide people with a glimpse of good living and of the living God. Carry the light-giving Message into the night…” Philippians 2:14 – 16a (MSG)
- But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.” Galatians 5:22-23(NIV)